The World Bank Group, one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries, has partnered with CES —the world’s largest and most influential technology event—to launch a Global Tech Challenge to bridge the digital gender divide.
Over 300 million fewer women access the internet in low-and-middle-income countries than men. This divide has persisted and is in fact widening in some regions. Barriers to digital equality are linked, among other factors, to availability of infrastructure, financial constraints, interest and perceived relevance of digital technologies, and socio-cultural and institutional contexts.
Addressing the gender digital divide is crucial to ensuring sustainability of women’s livelihood. This is particularly the case during crisis such as the COVID-19 pandemic when connectivity is key. Historically, leaving structural gender inequalities out of the crisis response has further compounded those inequalities. At times like this, we need to emphasize the importance of digital access for women.
- Access to mobile phones can help gain access to key information for women, at a time when access to their traditional information channels may be limited.
- Access to information and communication technologies can ensure that women have access to mobile money, helping poverty outcomes for female-headed households. As countries implement unconditional cash transfer programs, enabling women to access money can improve their household bargaining power.
- Access to mobile phones during area-wide quarantines can help women seek emotional support and advice as they shoulder more care work within the household.
All (We encourage the greater participation and recognition of organizations in emerging and developing countries in international tech events and tech challenges).
- Receive recognition and brand visibility at CES 2021 as a Global Tech Challenge winner.
- Engage with governments and World Bank Group teams to potentially scale their solutions within development projects.
- Access mentorship from technology companies and World Bank leaders to help scale their solutions.
- Share their stories at multiple international fora such as CES 2021, regional conferences, and the World Bank Group’s Spring and Annual Meetings.
- Build their professional networks and raise their international profile and brand.
Apply Here: https://www.abstractscorecard.com/cfp/submit/login.asp?EventKey=NSSHSVLD
Deadline: June 1, 2020