With its development-oriented postgraduate study programmes, the DAAD promotes the training of specialists from development and newly industrialized countries. Well-trained local experts, who are networked with international partners, play an important part in the sustainable development of their countries. They are the best guarantee for a better future with less poverty, more education, and health for all.
The scholarships offer foreign graduates from development and newly industrialised countries from all disciplines and with at least two years’ professional experience the chance to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognised German university, and in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
Graduates with at least two years’ professional experience from the following countries: list of eligible countries
The Typical Scholarship Holder:
- Works either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country and, as such, is engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with emphasis on development policies having a bearing on technological, economic or social areas.
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree (normally four years) in a related subject.
- Has completed an academic degree with far above average results (upper third) and at least two years of related professional experience after the first degree (bachelor) at the time of application.
- His/her academic degrees should normally not be more than six years old.
Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline cannot be considered
- For study courses in German (scholarship includes a preparatory 6-month German language course in Germany): Successful passing of the language examination DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 before the start of the study course. Therefore, a minimum German language level of B1 at the time of application is a requirement, that needs to be proofed by providing a current certificate.
Note: It is not possible to pass the required German language courses (DSH or TestDaF) without any previous basic knowledge in the German language (at least B1 Level), even with the preceding six-month intensive course in Germany. Passing the language test is a formal prerequisite for matriculation at the respective German university.
- For courses in English: IELTS (Band 6) certificate or TOEFL (minimum score: 550 paper based, 213 computer based, 80 internet based)
Note: Some courses may expect a different level. For detailed information see the relevant course description on the following pages
What can be funded?
Individual scholarships exclusively for Postgraduate courses in Germany that are listed on the “List of all Postgraduate courses with application deadlines 2021/22”.
Duration of the funding
12 to 36 months (dependent on study programme)
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 850 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
- Candidates fulfil the necessary academic requirements and can be expected to successfully complete a study programme in Germany (above-average result for first academic exam – top performance third, language skills)
- Candidates have a Bachelor degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject
- Candidates have at least two years’ professional experience
- Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship
Applications have only to be sent to the respective course directly! Please refer to their respective websites for the application procedure (e.g. online application), for the application deadline and the documents to be submitted.
Applications sent to the DAAD will not be forwarded to the respective course/university.
You can apply for up to three courses. If applying to more than one course, please list courses in order of priority in the DAAD application forms (see 7. Choice of host university/institution in Germany) and do not change the priorities in the according application form!
Required documents (in the following order):
- Signed DAAD application form with current date
- Personally signed CV (please use the sample europass form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/) with current date
- Personally signed Letter of Motivation (with reference to current occupation and choice of postgraduate programme(s), two pages maximum) with current date.
IMPORTANT: When applying for more than one postgraduate course (maximum 3 courses), you have to submit one motivation letter explaining why you are applying for these specific courses and why you chose that priority.
- Letter of recommendation from your current employer; the letter must have letterhead, a signature and official stamp and must be of the current date (not in a sealed envelope)
- Certificate(s) of Employment from the employer(s) that proof a minimum of two years of relevant working experience (after the bachelor degree) at the time of application and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment from your current employer upon returning home.
- Proof of Language Skills:
o English – IELTS or TOEFL (Note: The institutional TOEFL is not accepted)
o German – required for courses taught in German
- Copies of Academic Degrees (certified translation if necessary)
- Copies of Academic Transcripts, incl. grading-scale (certified translation if necessary)
- Applicants from the People’s Republic of China are asked to submit an APS Certificate with their application documents.
Deadline: Depending on the chosen study program; please check the scholarship brochure or the website of your chosen study program.
Apply Here: https://www2.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/datenbank/en/21148-scholarship-database/?origin=165&status=3&subjectGrps=&daad=&q=&page=1&detail=50076777