The coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis has forced the world into action. The measures taken to contain the virus have impacted the whole of society, including the education sector, with research becoming more important than ever.
To help investigating how COVID-19 and related measures potentially affect housing, land, and property rights in African countries, and to deliver high-quality research on the COVID 19 implications for land governance institutions and systems in the long-term, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers support for special research fellowships under the “Network of Excellence for Land Governance in Africa (NELGA)” in the form of desk studies.
The “Network of Excellence for Land Governance in Africa (NELGA)” is a
partnership of leading African universities and research institutions with proven leadership in education, training and research on land governance. Currently NELGA has more than 70 partner institutions across Africa. The objectives of NELGA are:
- Enhancing training opportunities and curricula on land governance in Africa;
- Promoting demand driven research on land policy issues;
- Connecting scholars and researchers across Africa;
- Creating data and information for monitoring and evaluation on land policy reforms.
We invite staff members or students of NELGA partner institutions with a
background in land governance or a related field to apply for funding for special NELGA research fellowships during the COVID-19 crisis.
- have completed at least a first university degree (undergraduate) at a state or state-recognized institution of higher education;
- be nationals of an African country;
- be granted leave of absence by their home institution for the purpose of conducting a study.
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the program.
A one-off research allowance of EUR 460.
The fellowship does not cover living expenses. It can only be awarded once per year. The funds will be transferred to the fellowship holder’s personal bank account.
Deadline: June 15th 2020